The Wohltätigkeitsverein Al-Huleh e. V. (Al-Huleh Charitable Association), founded in 1995, was the first Palestinian charity in Berlin. Al-Huleh is in Galilee in Northern Palestine at the foot of the Golan Heights close to the border with Lebanon.
15 May 1948 marks the day of Al Nakba (the catastrophe) for the Palestinians. Over 700,000 Palestinians were driven out of Palestine, one day after the Israelis declared their independence. Many Palestinians were forced to flee to Lebanon and other surrounding countries and live in refugee camps, including the inhabitants of Al-Huleh. Many Palestinians still live in these camps to this day.
The Lebanese civil war lasted from 1975 until 1990. The Palestinian refugee camps were directly affected, with the largest refugee camp Tal al-Zaatar, near Beirut, being completely destroyed. Between 1976 and 1980, many Palestinians (by now second generation) were again forced to flee to various countries. We introduce our visitors and those seeking our help to the many different cultures represented in our association.
Intercultural understanding is an important aspect of integration. Our association stands for acceptance and respect between different religions and cultures.
Some of the surviving Palestinians have built new lives for themselves in Berlin. Former inhabitants of Al-Huleh came together to establish the association. The charity not only aims to help remind people of their origins and the past but also to promote and facilitate life in a new society.
The objective of our integration work is to maintain social peace. We aim to achieve a level of contentment in the population to allow people from different cultures to get to know and understand each other